Designed by architect John Gaw Meem and constructed in 1934, Rodgers Hall is a Period Revival Style (Spanish Colonial) building with a French Tile roof and stone quoins at the building corners. The Work Progress Administration (WPA) project was originally a library, but now houses administrative offices. Murals by artist Lloyd Moylan cover the walls of the main staircase and second floor foyer. Rodgers Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
The historic nature and elements of this building, including the murals and existing plaster beams, corbels, and columns, complicated the renovation of Rodgers Hall renovation. It was necessary to demolish a concrete secondary mezzanine, remove concrete supporting columns, and replace concrete beams with new steel beams. New foundations built in the crawl space and replacement of the entire existing electrical system were completed without compromising the integrity of the historic aspects of the building.
To maintain the integrity of historic Rodgers Hall during this renovation, Franken Construction worked closely with the architect and New Mexico State Historic Preservation Office to manage the historic elements of the building. Discussions regarding the protection of specific historic elements, including the murals, corbels, and columns, happened at the beginning of the project. Utilizing special coverings and construction techniques as well as sealing off work areas, Franken Construction ensured the protection of the historic campus landmark.